Tuesday, June 13, 2006

morning pep talk

my job is not a difficult one, really.  it has its little challenges, yes, but it's nothing like the one i left.  and yet, i find myself giving personal pep-talks - come on girl, you can do it. all you have to do is get there and everything will be ok, and besides - there's coffee there!  and it's a good place to be, you know it is so just get it in gear and go.

yesterday, andrews came to see me.  she told me the replacement ward clerk/secretary stays out a lot and isn't entering the urgent ur's when she IS there.  i know for a fact that things have changed a lot since i was the secretary.  the nurses, upon having to do my job, realized how broad it was and how frustrating it could be, and they have agreed among themselves to pitch in so as not to lose the new secretary...but i knew how she would be.  i had met her previously at the hospital and experienced her attitude.

when andrews told me what was going on, i pulled up the hs16 screen.  nope, nobody trained me, in the beginning, to fix that screen, had to learn myself.  just like chillie, the queen of all ward secretaries did...i went through and jotted down the names and the remedies for resolving the issues on that screen.  if the secretary comes in, i'll fax that to her so she can get that out of the way.  if not, i'll fax it to andrews so she can do it.

and i don't consider myself some hero or anything like that.  i do wonder if i'll ever stop feeling responsible for everything and everybody.

No comments: