Sunday, June 4, 2006

mo and me

something always brings it back.  today, it was paul mccartney singing silly love songs, and the next song on the radio was best of my love, by the eagles.  suddenly, i was 15 years old again, and melissa (mo) and i were at my uncle's house, walking back from britt's store, singing best of my love.  we did that from jr. high up - sang.  she was soprano and i was alto, and we harmonized carly simon, elton john, whoever or whatever caught our ear.  but this time, i remembered the eagles singing..

every night, i'm lying in bed holding you close in my dreams
thinking about all the things that we said and coming apart at the seams.
we tried to talk it over, but the words come out too rough...
but here in my heart, i'll give you the best of my love.

then mo and i would go into the chorus.  and there was a beautiful song from godspell that was perfect for us, a duet -

where are you going, where are you going?
will you take me with you
for my hand is cold and needs warmth.
where are you going?

far beyond where the horizon lies
where the horizon lies
and the land sinks into mellow blueness

oh please, take me with you.
let me skip the road with you.
i can dare myself...i can dare myself
i'll put a pebble in my shoe and watch me walk
i can walk and walk

i shall call the pebble dare
i shall call the pebble dare
we will walk, we will talk together
about walking.  Dare shall be carried
and when we both have had enough
i will take him from my shoe singing,
meet your new road.
then i'll take your hand
finally glad
that i am here, by your side.

want you always with me by my side.

we loved that song.  and i think mo and i would have adored karaoke. 

i hear she's in greensboro now, managing a red lobster restaurant, married to a cop she met there.  it's something, isn't it, how closeness and knowing turns into distance and rumor, but when i think of music or hear certain music, i think of her and how we belted out tune after tune, loving every minute of it - one voice a perfect complement to the other.

that's not a bad way to be remembered...as music.

 

No comments: